Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Green Fingers

Here's a brief description of my little back garden, reproduced from the Powerswitch forums:-

"I live in a terraced house, but I've still managed to cram a fair bit in.

I have some raised veg beds with potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, onions, peas, beans, sweetcorn and stuff in, which seem to have done OK. I have a mini-greenhouse which I've tried to grow peppers in, but those have failed dismally this year.

Apart from the storage space I've set aside for logs for my wood burner, most of the rest of the garden is given over to herbs and fruit trees - I have an apple tree and a pear tree. I also have a few non-edible bushes and flowers and the like, for a bit of biodiversity. You need flowers in any case, in order to get the bees in, to pollinate your fruits etc.

The only other things I have are a blueberry bush, a raspberry cane and a grape vine. I like the idea of low-maintenance fruiting plants, which just produce food every year without effort like planting and harvesting vegetables.

I'm currently digging a small pond too - I'm hoping to get some toadspawn in the spring. I desperately need an organic remedy for the thousands of slugs and snails which I get every year, especially when it gets wet! Toads would be the ideal answer. "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home